It's National Library Card Sign-Up Month!
Posted by STAIR-Annapolis on September 15, 2021
September is National Library Card Sign-Up Month and there's never been a better time to show your local branch some love!
In our increasingly digital world, it can be easy to discount the importance of public libraries. After all, who needs books or magazines when most of us carry the entire internet around in our pockets? But our libraries provide so much more, and a library card is your ticket to it all!
FREE AND SAFE FOR ALL
Public libraries are free, for everyone. Every single resource, from books and magazines to music and movies, is offered to the whole community regardless of education, income, religion, political beliefs, age, or social status.
SUPPORT FOR THOSE IN NEED
In many places, public libraries serve as support centers for the homeless and underserved. People in need can come to the library to seek shelter, to learn, to look for employment, or to simply pass the time with a good book. Right here in Anne Arundel County, our very own Discoveries: The Library at the Mall has recently opened a community pantry, where families in need can pick up diapers, wipes, and personal hygiene products.
HEALTHY LIBRARY, HEALTHY COMMUNITY
Libraries provide an economic boost for local communities by making space for telecommuters and job seekers, offering free resources for small business owners and entrepreneurs, and hosting free events to teach people about financial literacy, estate planning, and more. Libraries can also improve the physical well-being of patrons through free fitness classes, healthcare resources, and health-related information.
FOR YOUNG READERS
Our littlest learners can also reap the many benefits of the local library, even if they're still too young to read independently.
Why do kids need libraries?
- The pride and excitement that's evident when a child holds his or her very first library card.
- Borrowing library books teaches kids responsibility and how to be accountable when entrusted with something that doesn't belong to them.
- Having a library card makes kids feel a part of their community.
- The freedom to browse the shelves and choose any book that catches the eye are two of the most essential rights of every reader, young or old.
- Regular visits to the library can spark a lifelong love of books and learning in even the most hesitant reader.
Our friends at Anne Arundel County Public Library have made it easier than ever to get a library card--you can apply right online! If it's been a while since you paid a visit to your local branch, it's a great time to get reacquainted. There's so much to discover at your local public library!